Hatteras Island Car Rentals, VW Buggy Rentals, 4X4 Jeep, Suburban Rentals & Golf Cart Rentals for use on the Outer Banks.
Which one fits your needs?
- 4-Wheel Drive Cruisers: Rent a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle to visit the beautiful beaches of Hatteras, Ocracoke, and Carova. Choose the size and style that fits your needs. Read more…
- Fun Volkswagen “Buggy” Cruisers: Rent a topless Buggy to cruise the streets between the Islands of Hatteras and Ocracoke, with “Old School” style! Read more…
- 2-Wheel Drive Cruisers: Rent a 2-wheel drive car if you just a need a set of wheels to cruise the entire Outer Banks, excluding the beaches. A great choice when visiting one of the many local campgrounds. Choose from Econo, Mid, and Full-size models. Read more…
- Golf Cart Rentals: Rent a Golf cart to cruise through your campground or the private streets of your neighborhood. If staying in the villages of Rodanthe, Waves, or Salvo, we will deliver and pick it up for FREE! Read more…
Are you open year round?
Yes, we are open year round. Please note our hours of operation for various times of the year.
In Season; Mid May – September 30th
Monday – Friday 10:00am – 5:00pm.
Saturday Open per pre-booked reservation.
Sunday – CLOSED*
*We try to reserve Sunday for our own family; however, if you are really in need of a vehicle on a Sunday, please call. We will do all we can to accommodate you and your family & friends.
OFF SEASON – October 1st – May 18
We are OPEN by pre-booked reservation ~ PLEASE CALL IN ADVANCE!!
Do you offer guest pickup?
We offer FREE GUEST PICK UP in the Tri-Villages of Rodanthe, Waves, & Salvo and can deliver vehicles to the rest of the Outer Banks, including local Airports, for a minimal fee.
What are your rental requirements?
Reservations are REQUIRED and should be made AT LEAST, 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE; availability is limited so the sooner you book, the better chance you have of getting the vehicle, time, & day you prefer. A 20% non-refundable deposit on a credit card is required to secure your reservation.
- Up to two people may register to drive for free; each additional driver is $5.00 per person.
- All driver’s must be at least 25 years old.
- All drivers must be registered on the rental contract.
- All drivers must submit a valid drivers’ license and a current proof of auto insurance at time of registration.
- One registered driver will also need to authorize use of a credit card (in his / her name) for the security deposit.
Possible additional fees:
- Fuel: we send all units out with a full tank and you fill it back up before returning it, or you can choose not to and pay the fuel surcharge instead
- Sales tax applies to all Auto rentals and merchandise purchases
- A Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is available for purchase
- Rented accessories such as car seat(for children), GPS unit, bike racks, fishing rod/cooler rack, or extra storage rack
- Excess mileage
- Delivery and pick up outside of Rodanthe Waves, or Salvo
- Cleaning fee for excessively dirty returns
- Late fee
- Cancellation Fee
- Damages incurred during rental
Beach driving is a rare privilege and all laws must be respected & obeyed.
- There is absolutely NO DRIVING ON THE DUNES permitted.
- Vehicles are not permitted to be driven through the water.
- Reckless & / or competitive driving is prohibited both on and off-road.
- We provide each guest with a binder full of detailed maps, instructions, and ideas of what to do and where to go. We also supply you with coupons and menus of other local businesses. We strive to do all we can to make sure your “Island Cruise” is safe, fun, & memorable.
What about child safety?
All Units will accept Child Safety Seats (either provided by Renters, or you can rent one from us).
Why can’t I drive on the Dunes?
You cannot drive on the dune line because it is THE defensive line to our cherished islands. They are all we have to protect us against rising flood waters when deadly hurricanes and harsh north east winds blow and threaten our land and lives. Second, the beaches are regulated by the National Park Service and it is strictly prohibited. Yes, it is ILLEGAL and subject to a $5,000 fine & up to six months in federal prison.
Why can’t I drive on the Dunes?
What happens if I book a reservation and it rains?
Are there any extra fees?
Can I bring a cooler? What can't I bring?
Items NOT permitted in vehicles are as follows: Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, fireworks, and firearms.
*Don’t forget your camera; you will want to make sure you get pictures of your adventure. Please keep in mind most vehicles are convertible, so although they lock (exception of Tub Buggies), they are easy to get into; therefore, we suggest bringing a back pack or bag of sorts to carry your valuables in, if you plan to be away from the vehicle.
Can our dog ride in the vehicle?
Where are you located?
Visited OBX the last week of April 2019 and had a fantastic time there, positively influenced by a fun time renting one of Valerie and Eric’s 4wd Jeeps. We were able to drive up to Corolla and see the wild horses for ourselves and enjoy some escape from the cold New Hampshire Spring weather.
Valerie and Eric were great with their communications and just down to earth, friendly people who offer very fair rates. We will most certainly rent from them again for our next trip down.
All the best and have a fantastic Summer season.
Ken & Girls
Island Cruisers has provided us with memories that will last a lifetime. We first rented from them in July 2018 and came back in April 2019. Our first trip was great and this last visit we explored Corolla. The horses were a magical experience we will not forget. The vehicles we rented were perfect and the service outstanding. We can’t say enough great things about Island Cruisers. Hands down great experience!
We have rented from Island Cruisers 3 times. I wouldn’t rent from anyone else! I love the team there, they are all wonderful and very customer focused. The jeeps we get are great, and are exactly what we need. They are really the best bang for your buck!!!
We would like to thank you for your service with the rental of a golf cart while we were camping at the Outer Banks Campground . I have trouble with my back and need assistance getting around. This was our first time camping at the Outer Banks so I called the Outer Banks Campground and asked them for a recommendation of renting a golf cart. Island Cruisers was their recommendation. They were prompt with delivery and pick up . They arrived with in minutes of our arrival and also picked up promptly we had to wait for nothing. Very friendly staff and when we go back to the area they are the ones we will call on. If you need a golf cart (they also have other rentals too) I would recommend them anytime. Thank you Island Cruisers I really enjoyed the golf cart making my getting around easier and everyone else in the family loved it too…
The Parrish Family
We want to take the time to thank you for making our car rental experience so wonderful. Coming to our RV and picking me up made things so much easier for us. Your professionalism was outstanding and our car, while not new, worked like as well as one. You should be extremely proud of the business you run. Thanks again, and looking forward to renting from you next year!
Richard and Julie Klingerman
Hatteras Island’s Largest Auto and 4×4 Rental Company. Need your personal vehicle repaired? Visit Hatteras Island Performance, our repair shop, for your vehicle’s needs! With over 20 years of experience and knowledge, we are honest, thorough, fast, and reliable.