Hatteras Island Car Rentals, VW Buggy Rentals, 4X4 Jeep, Suburban Rentals & Golf Cart Rentals for use on the Outer Banks. (252) 987-2097
Which one fits your needs?
- 4-Wheel Drive Cruisers: Rent a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle to visit the beautiful beaches of Hatteras, Ocracoke, and Carova. Choose the size and style that fits your needs. Read more details and rates…
- Fun Volkswagen “Buggy” Cruisers: Rent a topless Buggy to cruise the streets between the Islands of Hatteras and Ocracoke, with “Old School” style! Read more details and rates…
- 2-Wheel Drive Cruisers: Rent a 2-wheel drive car if you just a need a set of wheels to cruise the entire Outer Banks, excluding the beaches. A great choice when visiting one of the many local campgrounds. Choose from Econo, Mid, and Full-size models. Read more details and rates…
- Golf Cart Rentals: Rent a Golf cart to cruise through your campground or the private streets of your neighborhood. If staying in the villages of Rodanthe, Waves, or Salvo, we will deliver and pick it up for FREE! Read more details and rates…
Do you offer guest pickup?
Yes, we offer FREE Guest Pick Up and FREE Golf Cart Delivery in the Tri-Villages of Rodanthe, Waves, & Salvo.
Due to the high volume of in-house business, transport services to and from all other areas of the Outer Banks are considered on a case-by-case scenario.
What about child safety?
All Units will accept Child Safety Seats (either provided by Renters, or you can rent one from us).
Why can’t I drive on the Dunes?
You cannot drive on the dunes for two main reasons. First, the dunes are the defensive line to our cherished islands. They protect us against rising flood waters when deadly hurricanes and harsh north east winds blow and threaten our land and lives. Driving and walking on them, loosens the vegetation and disturbs the sand, causing erosion an weakness. Second, the beaches are regulated by the National Park Service and it is strictly prohibited. It is ILLEGAL and subject to a $5,000 fine & up to six months in federal prison.”
What happens if I book a reservation and it rains?
If it is raining when you arrive for your pick-up, we will assess the situation and re-schedule if necessary / possible. If you cancel a reservation due to the fact that it may rain, a cancellation fee will still apply. Keep in mind; often, the weather report is incorrect and sometimes it is even raining on one side of the street and not the other. Rain cells pop up and move quickly around here, often resulting in a minimal shower that usually feels quite refreshing. So, try to hold out and you will more times than not, be surprised and the sun will shine.
Can our dog ride in the vehicle?
By all means; yes, dogs are welcome! If your dog is likely to jump from the vehicle, we do not recommend bringing him/her for a VW Buggy ride. If any damage is caused by your pet, you will be held responsible (i.e. torn seats, “potty spots”, chewed up parts, etc.) Also, if your dog sheds excessively, please clean it yourself or pay an extra minimal fee.
Are there any extra fees?
Possible additional fees:
- Fuel: we send all units out with a full tank and you fill it back up before returning it, or you can choose not to and pay the fuel surcharge instead
- Sales tax applies to all golf cart and accessory rentals, and merchandise purchases
- A Renter’s Collision Policy (RCP) is available for purchase
- Rented accessories such as car seat (for children), GPS unit, bike racks, fishing rod/cooler rack, or extra cargo storage rack
- Excess mileage; $0.20/mile over 200 per day
- Delivery and pick up outside of Rodanthe Waves, or Salvo
- Cleaning fee for excessively dirty returns
- Late fee
- Cancellation Fee
- Damages incurred during rental
Beach driving is a rare privilege and all laws must be respected & obeyed.
- There is absolutely NO DRIVING ON THE DUNES permitted.
- Vehicles are NOT permitted to be driven through the water.
- Reckless & / or competitive driving is prohibited both on and off-road.
- We provide each guest with a binder full of detailed maps, instructions, and ideas of what to do and where to go. We also supply you with coupons and menus of other local businesses. We strive to do all we can to make sure your “Island Cruise” is safe, fun, & memorable.”
Can I bring a cooler? What can't I bring?
Where are you located?
We are located on Hatteras Island, in the village of Salvo. We are on the West side of NC Highway 12, just South of the “Sun Realty” office. If coming from the South, we are just North of the “Surf or Sound Realty” office.
Are you open year round?
Yes, we are open year round. Please note our hours of operation for various times of the year.
In Season; Mid May – September 30th
Monday – Friday 10:00am – 5:00pm.
Saturday and Sunday, per pre-booked reservation.
OFF SEASON – October 1st – Mid May
We are OPEN by pre-booked reservation ~ PLEASE CALL IN ADVANCE!! 252-987-2097
What are your rental requirements?
Reservations are REQUIRED and should be made AT LEAST, 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE; availability is limited so the sooner you book, the better chance you have of getting the vehicle, time, & day you prefer. A 20% non-refundable deposit on a credit card is required to secure your reservation.
- Up to two people may register to drive for free; each additional driver is $5.00 per person.
- All driver’s must be at least 25 years old.
- All drivers must be registered on the rental contract.
- All drivers must submit a valid drivers’ license and a current proof of auto insurance at time of registration.
- One registered driver will also need to authorize use of a credit card (in his / her name) for the security deposit.